Stay safe and take a licensed cab this Christmas

WITH the start of the festive party season, revellers have been urged to stay safe and check whether taxis have a licence before travelling.
Cllr Derek Poole, leader of Rugby Borough Council and portfolio holder for regulation and safety.
04 December 2023

Rugby Borough Council's licensing team has issued simple steps residents can take to travel by taxi with confidence over Christmas - starting with checking both the cab and its driver have licences.

Licensed taxis have a licence plate attached to the rear of the vehicle, detailing which council has licensed the cab, the licence number, vehicle registration and the licence's expiry date.

A badge on the taxi's dashboard or front windscreen should also display the information.

Private hire taxis must be booked in advance and cannot pick up fares on the street. 

Private hire taxi drivers who pick up passengers on the street risk prosecution, while passengers have no insurance in the event of an accident.

Rugby's white, Hackney carriage taxis pick up passengers from one of the town centre's taxi ranks  - outside New Look and the Clock Tower in North Street, and outside the railway station in Railway Terrace - while passengers can also hail Hackney carriages on the street.

Drivers of both private hire and Hackney carriage cabs must also be licensed, and should wear a photo ID badge. 

Passengers should ask to see the ID before travelling to make sure the driver has a taxi licence.

Cllr Derek Poole, leader of Rugby Borough Council and portfolio holder for regulation and safety, said: "Taxis provide a valuable service all year round but with increased demand over the Christmas period, it's important passengers know how to identify a licensed cab and driver before travelling.

"Taking a moment to check your taxi and its driver have a licence gives you peace of mind. It's also worth making a note of which council has licensed a cab or driver, as some taxis operating in Rugby have licences issued by other councils.

"Should you wish to make a complaint about a driver who has been licensed by another council, you'll need to tell us which council in order for us to investigate.

"We want all our residents to enjoy the Christmas celebrations and stay safe," Cllr Poole added.

"By making a few simple checks before travelling, you can help make sure you get home safely."

Residents can make a complaint about a taxi and/or driver online at


For more tips visit: