We can evict illegal encampments from council-owned land, but only after obtaining authority from the courts.

In order to secure a court order, we must:

  • show the land has been occupied without consent;
  • enquire after the health, welfare and education of children at the encampment;
  • ensure we have fully complied with the Human Rights Act 1998;
  • prove ownership of the land and details of illegal encampment.

The police have no powers to evict illegal encampments, but can investigate reports of serious criminality or public disorder.

Report an illegal encampment