About environmental permits (PPC)

You need a permit from us if you operate:

  • an installation or mobile plants carrying out listed activities
  • a waste operation
  • a waste mobile plant
  • a mining waste operation.

Listed activities include:

  • energy - burning fuel, gasification, liquification and refining activities
  • metals - manufacturing and processing metals
  • minerals - manufacturing lime, cement, ceramics or glass
  • chemicals - manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk
  • waste - incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste
  • solvents - using solvents
  • manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming  

The different classes of permit

The different classes of permit are complex and it is not possible to list all of the different activities that may need a permit. If you are not sure please contact us.

Part A permits

Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including:

  • emissions to air, land and water
  • energy efficiency
  • waste reduction
  • raw materials consumption
  • noise, vibration and heat
  • accident prevention

Part B permits

Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air.

The regulator

The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions.

Permits are available from the Environment Agency or your local authority (the regulator) depending upon the category your business falls within:

  • Part A (1) installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • Part A (2) and Part B installations or mobile plants are regulated by the local authority, except waste operations carried out at Part B installations which are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • Waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants, are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • Mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency


There is a fee for this permit. These fees are set by the government and reviewed annually.

The application process

We will normally publicise your application and must consider any comments that are made.

You must be the operator of the regulated facility and we must be satisfied that you will operate the facility in accordance with the environmental permit.