Anti-social behaviour - council tenants

Under the terms of the tenancy agreement, all council tenants have a responsibility not to cause harassment, alarm or distress to others.

If you live in a council property and experience problems with anti-social behaviour, we may be able to help. 

Anti-social behaviour which can disrupt and detract from the quality of life of neighbours includes:

  • persistent loud music or noise
  • vandalism and graffiti
  • intimidating and threatening behaviour
  • abandoned cars
  • drunken or rowdy behaviour

Remember, if you've been threatened or assaulted, you must report the incident to the police immediately.

Problems with a neighbour?

We encourage all tenants to try and resolves issues with neighbours directly before reporting a problem to us.

Discussing problems with a neighbour in a calm, polite manner often proves the simplest and quickest way of resolving an issue.

We do not expect to deal with minor issues such as disputes over parking or the slamming of doors until you have attempted to resolve the issue.

However, if problems persist despite your efforts to resolve the situation, or you do not feel comfortable speaking to your neighbour, you need to tell us. 

How to report a nuisance neighbour

Before we can take action, we need information about the problem.

You should keep a diary of anti-social incidents so we have accurate, detailed information to act on when trying to resolve your issue.

Your diary should record the following:

Date Time Location of anti-social behaviour What was the anti-social behaviour? Who were the perpetrators? Witnesses How did the anti-social behaviour make you feel?
What was the date of the incident? What time did the incident take place? The address or precise location of the incident. Detailed information about the incident. Names and/or addresses of those responsible. If you do not know the names, please give a detailed description (age, height, distinguishing features, clothing). Names and addresses of anyone else who witnessed the incident.  

Post your completed, signed and dated incident diary in an envelope marked 'confidential' to: Estate Management Team, Rugby Borough Council, Town Hall, Evreux Way, Rugby, CV21 2RR.

Please note - we'll always ask your permission before using details contained in an incident diary in legal proceedings.

What happens next?

When we receive your incident diary, we'll contact you to discuss what action we plan to take.

We have a variety of ways of tackling anti-social behaviour and work with a number of different agencies to try and resolve issues.

Remember, if you're a victim of a criminal offence or suspect criminal behaviour, you must call the police on either 101 or, in an emergency, 999.